Friday, March 4, 2011

Never Been So Scared...

Yesterday, Noah and I were sitting in his room playing a Veggie Tales matching game on my laptop while Juliana was downstairs with Suzy, her Occupational Therapist.  All of a sudden Suzy yelled my name.  I ran downstairs and Suzy was bent over Juliana.  Juliana had thrown up an orange liquid.  I knelt on the floor next to her and started to tell her everything was okay, when she started to make a strange gargling noise.  Her face started to turn purple and Noah began to cry and ask why his sister was turning that color.  We thought she was choking on something, but she hadn't had anything to eat.  I called 911 while Suzy started the Heimlich manuever.  While I was on the phone, I tried to get my finger in Juliana's mouth to see if there was anything in there that she was choking on when her jaws clamped down on my finger, she began to foam at the mouth and shake.  I was able to prop Juliana up and Suzy got her airway open a little bit but she was very purple, very purple.  2 policemen ran into our house and put Juliana on her back, tried to get into her mouth but they couldn't do it either.  Then the ambulance, fire truck, and 4 more police cars arrived.  The paramedics ran into the house.  Juliana was still purple but she was limp at this point.  The paramedic picked her up and ran her to the ambulance to work on her.  Suzy told me she would stay with Noah and I ran out the door to the ambulance where I was bombarded with questions.  I was shaking and bordering on tears but I was trying to keep calm for Noah because he kept asking "what's wrong with my sister?"  I couldn't remember what medicines she was on or the doses.  They had me come back into the house to get Juliana's medical history, and they were asking Suzy about what she was doing with Juliana.  Then the paramedic came back in and said that she was stable but had a fever of 102 so they were going to take her to St. Joes immediately and I could follow with Noah when I was done with the policemen. 

When I was done answering all the policemen's questions, they gave me directions to St. Joes because I didn't know how to get there.  I grabbed my wallet, keys, cell phone, and Noah.  I called Ryan and told him to meet us there and gave him directions as well.  Then I called my dad and let him know what happened and called my brother in law and let him know what happened.  I made myself be calm for Noah on the drive to the hospital.  Noah kept saying, "I hope Juli is okay, Momma."  I told him that we needed to pray for Juliana, so we prayed the whole way to the hospital. 

Ryan arrived at the hospital at the same time as us.  I filled him in on what happened, since I didn't really let him know what had happened.  When we got to the children's ER, we found Juliana alert, with a cup of apple juice, a stuffed bunny, and sitting on an orderly's lap.  "This is not what she looked like when the paramedics left" I said half crying.  They took us to a room and we saw a doctor and gave him her medical history.  Because she had a fall a couple days ago they wanted to do a chest x-ray and a CT scan along with blood work and urineanalysis.  Juliana was in good spirits for most of this, until they got to the IV.  She screamed and screamed.  Then she wanted to be held by me. 

I held her, and then they came to get us for the x-ray and CT scan.  During the x-ray, I had to put on a lead coat and while Juliana was strapped into a baby chair screaming, I had to hold her arms out of the way.  During the CT scan while Juliana was strapped down screaming, I had to put on a lead coat and hold her head still.  It was horrible.  Then we had to wait and wait.  Noah was getting antsy.  It was almost 8 pm, he was tired and hungry and worried.  Juliana was getting antsy.  Ryan let her walk the hallway and rolled her IV behind her.  Then, the doors opened and there were Frampa and Framma!  They had driven down to get Noah and bring him home for us.  All of us were happy to see them.

Noah, my mom and Ryan went home (Noah didn't want to leave without a parent) and my dad stayed with Juliana and I.  It was a little after 9 when the doctor came and told us that all of her tests were normal and all of her scans were normal and that we were going to be sent home once the paperwork was done and Juliana's IV was taken out (Juliana was asleep at this point).  He said that Juliana had a febrile seizure and she could have them now anytime she runs a fever until she is 4-6 years old so we need to have tylenol or ibuprofen on hand.  He also told us to follow up with our pediatrician and neurologist.

I have never been so scared in my life.  I don't think I even slept last night.  I am so very thankful that Suzy was with me to help me get Juliana's airway open.  I am very thankful that 911 responded so quickly.  I am thankful that God helped me to remain calm in front of Noah.  I am thankful that my parents came down.  I am thankful that my little girl is alive.


  1. I don't know why Juliana continues to have all these struggles but I think you do an incredible job as a mommy to her and Noah! Hang in there.

  2. You handled yourself so well, my girl...I admire you very much. I am so glad our girl is well.! Love you all

  3. i've never been so scared in my life either after I got off the phone with you. I heard what you told me but it was so hard for it to sink in and explain to your mother. I never want to go through something like that again. She is so precious and so tough. I'm so impressed how you handled it.

  4. Honey, I was tense the whole time I read this. I'm so thankful that Julianna is okay & you have a wonderful family support system. I know how hard it is to keep yourself together when inside you are breaking. But you did it. You are a strong woman & mommy Jenna!

  5. Oh girl, my heart just breaks reading this. Thank God for watching out for that sweet little girl. Praying for you.

  6. So glad they were able to quickly pinpoint the kind of seizure and that Juliana was quickly back to her normal self. What a terrifying situation. God was clearly in control.

  7. I haven't commented on this yet! We were praying the whole time and I had my friends praying too. Thank God she was alright.