Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mother/Son Dance...

"Mom, your lazy," said Noah.  Any normal day or week, I would have brushed off the comment, but Friday my response was instead to burst into tears.  Why, you ask.  Well, Ryan flew out of town Sunday afternoon.  Monday morning, Noah woke up having breathing problems.  I took him to the doctor, he had a respiratory virus.  Tuesday morning he woke up having even more difficulty breathing, but it was too late for me to call in, AND to top things off, I was being observed in my classroom by my new boss (Tino, man I miss you).  I called my co-teacher, and explained the issue, and she was quick to say, "Just do a half day, I can teach our afternoon classes." 

Anticipating that I would need to stay home on Wednesday, I wrote subplans.  Smart decision, because Tuesday night, Juli began to run a fever of 103.5 degrees, with a cough that hurt me to listen to her.  I was up with Juli, rocking her and trying to comfort her, until 4 in the morning on Wednesday.  Noah was starting to improve on Wednesday, so I planned on sending him to school on Thursday.  Juli's fever was still going strong at 103.5 degrees Wednesday night, and we spent another night rocking while she moaned and cried pitifully in my arms until 4 in the morning.  I took her to the doctor's on Thursday where our awesome pediatrician tested her for all strains of the flu (she was negative).  He determined that she had a nasty virus, but because of her febrile seizure almost 2 years ago, he was concerned that her fever wasn't going down.  He gave her some medicine in the office and gave us a cough medicine to help her sleep at night.  Thursday night went a little better, although her fever was still 103.  I only got up with her 3 times, BUT the Carbon Monoxide detector went off in between that- awesome, I know. 

So, by Friday night, I was on the ragged edge since I averaged 3.5 hours of sleep a night maximum, or as I told my co-teacher, "I'm on the slippery slope to insanity".  When Noah told me I was lazy, that was something I did not need to hear at that time.  We were preparing to go to the Mother/Son Dance at his school.  When we had signed up 2 weeks earlier to go, I had been excited, but at that moment on Friday, I was tired and would have rather gotten in my pj's and headed to bed.  Instead, I was moving a little too slowly for someone to get my shoes on to go to the dance. 

After seeing how upset he made me, Noah immediately apologized and burst into tears.  I knew he hadn't meant to hurt my feelings, but I had been overwhelmed by the week of being a single parent of 2 sick children and having very little sleep or adult contact.  We did go to the dance, and we had a pretty good time. 

When we got there, we were given 2 green bandanas to wear- when they called our color we could do the obstacle course.  Some of the mom's were complaining about "ruining their hair" by wearing a bandana, and Noah told me I didn't have to wear mine on my head like he was, but I told him I didn't care.  We had some dessert at the dessert table, got our pictures taken together by the photographer (Noah will get those later), and then we made our craft- a drawing that will be turned into a magnet.  Then, I dragged Noah onto the dance floor and made him do the "Cha Cha Slide" with me.  He ran around with some of his friends for a little while and then he came and found me and told me he was ready to go home because he was starting to wheeze.  Ryan took our picture when we got home that night- I look tired, but we did have a good time.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had a good time and yes you do look tired. His comment made me sad. You are not lazy...Surely this week will go better and no carbon monoxide noises in the night. Love, MOM