Friday, June 25, 2010

We Must Be Doing Something Right...

Yesterday was another rough day. Basically it's been a rough week. Both kids have been running fevers and having diarrhea. Ryan's been out of town, and I was lucky enough to have my mom with me for Monday and Tuesday, which was a huge help.

Monday and Tuesday I was exhausted at the end of both days. It's hard continuously cleaning up diarrhea. Poor Noah was so embarrassed to be back in diapers, but he couldn't make it to the potty in time, so I had to do it. Wednesday was the hardest on me. It seemed like every time I got one of them cleaned up, the other one needed a diaper change.

Thursday, Noah finished his diarrhea in the morning, but Juliana's still continues. She refused to nap this morning, and screamed for the entire hour I had her in her crib. Noah was very naughty in the morning, and I thought I was going to lose it. I made Noah a deal. If he didn't whine, cry, or disobey me while we were at the pediatrician's I would get him McDonald's for lunch. Noah was fairly well behaved at the doctor's office. Dr. Russell couldn't get over how good Noah was (he didn't see the naughty behavior), and let him pick out a couple suckers and a bunch of stickers.

He was happy to see that Juliana had gained 7 ounces in the 2 months between visits. He was extremely upset about our insurance not covering her therapies, but I calmed him down. Then we got down to the reason we were there. For a little over a month, Juliana has been coughing and having a runny nose. I felt badly that it had taken me so long to bring her to the doctor, but honestly, I haven't had much free time which still isn't a good excuse. From my explanations, Dr. Russell was thinking that Juliana may have allergies, which made sense because Ryan is "Mr. Allergy/Asthma". In my head I was thinking, "Oh great, just what she needs, more issues". However, when he listened to her lungs, he said, "Oh, this isn't allergies. One of her lungs is crackly, it has fluid in it".

How crappy of a mom am I?!? My daughter has had bronchitis for a month and I haven't taken her to the freaking doctor?!? Granted we've seen a bunch of other doctor's during that time, but still! He gave us a prescription for some antibiotics and we left the office.

Noah got his "Donald's" as he calls it, but when we got home, he asked me to put it in the fridge for later, because he wanted to take his nap. Both kids went down for their naps. Once they got up, the "fun" started again. The crying, the whining, etc. We went and picked up Juliana's medicine and then I brought them home and fed both of them... well, fed Noah anyway, we all have seen what "feeding" means for Juliana. After dinner, I gave Juliana her medicine, and 5 minutes later, she threw up all over herself. Noah said to me, "Momma, I done and ready to be cleaned. I sit here till you done cleaning sister". That was new- normally it's a demand coming from his mouth only to be corrected by me.

Once I got everyone cleaned up, we went outside to play. Noah and Juliana played around the kiddie pool which was filled with rain water. Noah kept her entertained and safe while I scooped dog poop so I could mow the lawn after bed time. After an hour it was time to get Juliana bathed and ready for bed. Both kids were soaked and happy, so I stripped them down and brought them inside. Noah continued to entertain Juliana until I had the bath ready. After I was done bathing Juliana, Noah emptied the baby bathtub (yes, she still fits in one) and cleaned up the bathroom to the best of his ability (like Ryan does after bath time) without me saying a word. Then, he helped me get Juliana dressed and brought her clothes and bath towel to the laundry room- again without being asked. Finally, while I was "feeding" Juliana, he went and sat downstairs and waited for me to come down- without being asked.

Even though this week has been nightmarish, Ryan and I must be doing something right, because Noah helped out when I needed it the most. Thank you God.


  1. He is my special, special little man!

  2. What a sweet boy! I love him even if he does want mcDonald's!

  3. Aww! Im glad Noah is doing so well with you and being your little helper. You could not have known Juliana had bronchitis with a little runny nose and a cough. Anyone would have assumed it to be a little cold, dont blame yourself for that. Its a good thing Ryan is back home safe and sound. Im glad you guys had fun at the beach I loved looking at the pictures! Looks like you guys had fun!