Monday, June 21, 2010

What A Bad Day...

Today was a bad day, insert swear word here. If I enjoyed alcohol, I'd probably be tossing a few back right about now instead of blogging.

Juliana went to visit Theresa for a couple hours this morning, so Noah, my mom, and I went out to breakfast. Noah was very excited. He asked for Mickey Mouse pancakes, and enjoyed them quite a bit. When it was time to leave, Noah had a meltdown over some pictures that grandma put into her purse. We handled the meltdown and then went shopping for Liam's birthday present. After I picked up Juliana, I put her down for a nap.

During that time, I called to set up Juliana's MRI. We had seen a specialist at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago on June 4. She noticed that Juliana had weaknesses on her left side and wanted to get an MRI of her brain. I had called last Friday to set up the MRI, but was told the paperwork had not been received. Then I had called the doctor's office and left a message about the paperwork. Later on Friday, the nurse called me and told me she had sent the paperwork over. Imagine my surprise when I called today, only to find out that they didn't have Juliana's paperwork. My temper started to rise, but it was time for therapy, so I wrote it back down on my to do list.

Our first therapist, Laura, showed up at 10:45, and I had to wake Juliana up. Today she was a bit stubborn. She threw little mini-tantrums during the feeding half of therapy. After Laura had gotten some food into Juliana, we moved onto the speech therapy part. Juliana refused to make any sounds. During this session, my phone rang and it was the nurse for our pediatrician saying that she had received a phone call from our insurance company that they would no longer be covering Juliana's therapy. She wanted to give me the heads up and to let me know that if I needed them to write letters or produce documentation, they would do whatever we needed.

After that, I made lunch for everyone, and Noah went down for his nap. I tried to put Juliana down for a nap, to which she chose to scream. I decided to let her cry for a little while, while I went and got the mail. I had 2 letters from our insurance company.

Both letters stated that our insurance would no longer be covering Juliana's speech or physical therapy. This confirmed the phone call I received from the pediatrician. I got on the phone to our insurance company where I explained politely to the lady on the other end of the phone, that Juliana's therapies had been covered up until this point and asked why they were all of a sudden not being covered, as she qualified for Early Intervention. The nice lady on the other end of the phone pulled up our account and could not find any record of these letters and showed insurance covering Juliana's therapies. She asked me to fax her the letters and she would research and get back to me by the next day.

We, of course, do not have a fax machine. Originally, I was going to scan the letters and email them to my dad and have him fax them from his work, but of course, the scanner wouldn't work. So, I had to drive to the library where they charge you up the wazoo to send a fax. During this time, my mom was trying to get Juliana to nap. By the time I got home from the library, Juliana was in bad need of a nap, but was screaming bloody murder- there was no need to put on her baby monitor, as we could hear her loud and clear. I went up and soothed her back to somewhat calmness, but as soon as I put her down, she began to scream.

By 3, she stopped screaming, and Meghan was due to arrive at 3:45. I got Noah up, and he was not happy to be woken up from his nap. Fortunately, grandma is a rock star and soothed Noah. Once Meghan arrived, I woke up Juliana, and immediately regretted my decision to do so. Juliana proceeded to scream for the entire hour of therapy- the blood curdling scream that makes you think someone is killing her. Grandma and Noah couldn't take it, so they went to play in Noah's room. The funny thing was, that Meghan was working on getting her to pull up from sitting, helping her to figure out walking, and climbing up and down stairs. Juliana was screaming so hard that she proceeded to throw up two different times- it was magical.

Noah is usually a well-behaved boy, but today, he decided to let his naughty side out. He refused to go on the potty, and when I asked him to do something, he would refuse to do it. Grandma was able to reign him in a little bit, but overall he was not a good boy today. I am so thankful that Grandma is here this week while Ryan is out of town.

By the time I got both kids into bed, I was on the verge of tears. That's where the Chili Dawg came into play. I've said it before that if I had a soul mate, Chili would be it. He sensed my degree of upsetedness (is that a word) and crawled up on the bed next to me. He just laid right next to me and let me pet him and cry.

Tomorrow we have 2 more therapies, and I am dreading the day. Our first therapy is at 1, and our second therapy is at 2:30, which again conflicts with Juliana's nap time. I don't know what to do about that, as I have to take the openings the therapists have for me, and I know the 1 PM slot is only temporary right now until a different time opens up, but I feel like I'm drowning. I feel like all I do is whine on here, and I don't want to be that kind of person. I wish I knew someone who was going through this now too, just so we could complain to each other and I'd know I wasn't alone.


  1. I'll go out for a drink with you...

  2. But she looks so cute in the video! That WAS a bad day...hope tomorrow is better.