Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Night Time Stirrings...

At one o'clock Sunday morning a strange beeping noise woke me up.  I sat straight up in bed and tried to figure out where it was coming from.  "Why is Noah's baby monitor beeping?"  Ryan asked.  "I don't know.  Is it not plugged in all the way so the battery is dying?"  I responded.  Ryan checked the receiver and everything was fine, but it still continued to beep.  "Maybe the plug came loose in Noah's room.  I'll sneak in and check.  Go back to sleep."  I said.  I found my glasses and went to Noah's room.

I crept into Noah's room and immediately saw that the light on his monitor was turned off.  I walked over to his dresser to turn it on and my shin hit an open drawer.  I bit my lip so that I didn't yell out, because I didn't want to wake Noah up.  I thought it was odd that the drawer was open, since that wasn't how the room was when we put Noah to bed.  I shut the drawer, turned his monitor back on, and turned to walk out of the room.  All of a sudden, my little ray of sunshine's head popped up, "MOMMA!  I had a bad dream and I peed in my bed!"  He started to cry.  I told him it was okay.  I found the light switch, which my smart husband had installed as a dimmer switch, and turned it on very low.  Everything started to make sense.

Noah was in his bed in just his pajama top and underwear.  On the floor next to his bed were his wet underwear and pajama bottoms.  Next to the dresser drawer were a pair of sweat pants.  In the dark, Noah had been able to find himself new underwear to change into, but not new pajama bottoms.  While he had been moving things around in his dresser he had bumped the cord of his monitor which caused it to come unplugged.  Had this not happened, his monitor would not have beeped and I would never have known he had a bad dream and an accident.

I calmed him down and got him some new pajama bottoms.  He said he had to go to the bathroom so I took him to the bathroom.  Ryan came in and stripped down Noah's bed while we were out of the room.  Fortunately, Noah has a trundle bed, so Ryan pulled that out and had it ready for us when we got back into the room.  Noah was terrified of whatever he had dreamed about, and didn't want me to leave the room, so I laid in his bed with him for two hours until he finally fell asleep.  As I settled back into my own bed, Juliana began to cry, and I got up to feed her.  Eventually, it was my turn to go back to sleep.  While some people may say that this part of parenthood is not fun, I disagree.  I will gladly get up in the night with my children as long as they need me.


  1. Hope everyone has sweet dreams tonight....

  2. Poor Noah! What a sweet brave boy to get up by himself and try to change. Breaks my heart!

  3. Aww I love that Noah was trying to change by himself so that you wouldnt have to wake up. Thats so cute he was thinking about you :)