Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Visitor...

One of the things I enjoy about teaching is when students return to visit.  Yesterday one of my favorite students came to visit me.  Yes, I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but there are some kids that really touch your life and you can't help it.  I never treated her any different in class than any other student, but secretly she was one of my favorite kids. 

I had Shannon last year in Anatomy & Physiology- Honors.  Shannon is an amazing young lady.  She was ranked 7th in her class, a cheerleader, very intelligent, extremely nice, and very active in school.  The weekend before the seniors last week of school, Shannon was in an accident.  She was thrown from a golf cart and hit her head on the ground.  She experienced a traumatic brain injury.  The kids she was with were afraid they would get into trouble so they didn't call for help for several hours.  When I found out, I was terrified for Shannon.  This young lady was looking forward to college, she had been accepted into a nursing program, and now they didn't even know if she was going to be able to go to college at all. 

I started sending Shannon emails on facebook and cards to her house.  I figured that since I had gone through something similar it might help her out a little bit to know she wasn't alone.  The highlight for me was when I saw her at graduation.  She looked a bit dazed and out of it, but I got to talk to her and give her a hug and that's when I knew that she was going to be able to make it.

So yesterday Shannon came in for a visit.  It was so nice to see her.  She looked really good.  She was able to go away to college, and her grades are great- although she is a little too hard on herself about them.  We talked about head injuries and the things that we both find overwhelming and what we do to cope with them.  She has a really positive outlook and I know she is going to make an amazing nurse when she is done.  I am amazed that she was able to go away to college only 3 months after her TBI.  I don't think I could have done that.  So Shannon, you are an inspiration to me and everyone out there who lives with a brain injury.  I am so proud of you!  Please come visit again.

2 comments:

  1. Your students including Shannon are lucky to have a woman like you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Shannon had you to be able to talk with about your experience because I am sure she was feeling the same way you did through the whole thing. She was probably relieved to be able to have someone to talk to about everything and be able to relate to it all.

    ReplyDelete