Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No One Wears Patches, But Noah...

A few weekends ago, Ryan and I took Noah to his first movie, How To Drain A Dragon, in 3-D. I had been wanting to do something special for Noah, because we are constantly in the car going to different doctor's appointments and therapies for the little girl.
Noah was very excited when we got to the theater. We tried to get him to wear the 3-D glasses as soon as we got to our seats, but Noah kept saying to us, "I got glasses on already!" Once the lights came down and the movie started, I was able to slip the glasses on over his glasses. Immediately his hand reached out like he was trying to touch something.

Noah LOVED the movie. There were parts where I thought he would be scared, but during those "exciting" parts, Noah was literally out of his seat, standing, watching the movie. Occasionally he would ask a question, but he was really into the movie.

Since then, he has been fascinated with dragons, particularly the Night Fury from the movie, named Toothless. He plays dragons with his trains or with his cousins. Aunt Jaime even had an extra Toothless from a Happy Meal that she passed on to Noah this weekend. He brings Toothless every where.
Now, how does this relate to my title?
Easy. On Monday, I took both kids to the opthamologist. Noah needed to get his eyes tested, and the neurologist had recommended that we get Juliana's eyes looked at (so did the opthamologist when she found out I was pregnant with Juliana).

Juliana finally had a doctor appointment go her way. By that, I mean that her eyes were good and developing how they should be for her age. The doctor wanted to see her back in 1 year.

Noah had a different visit. We discovered that his right eye, the eye that wanders, is weaker and doesn't see as well as his left eye. The doctor told us we were going to have to patch his left eye for 3 hours a day for the next 2 months. Noah did not take that well. There was A LOT of crying involved.

I was able to bribe him into wearing it by taking him to Wal-Mart and letting him pick out a toy. He chose Hiccup from How To Train Your Dragon. I told him that if he took the patch off, I would take Hiccup. He seemed to understand this. I told him we could even make a patch for Hiccup and Toothless to wear. Noah responded in a sad voice, "No Momma. No one wears patches but Noah." It broke my heart.

The patch seems to bother Noah's skin. Apparently he has sensitive skin like his momma. Fortunately, my friend and boss, Tino also had to patch his daughter. His wife found a website where they make custom patches to fit over your glasses, and will even put an applique on the patch for free of anything that you pick. Ryan and I talked it over, and tonight I placed an order for a patch for Noah. It's Royal Blue and will have this picture of Toothless and Hiccup on it that I uploaded. Hopefully it will make it easier on Noah, because this morning the battle to get his patch on was a mighty one, but in the end, I prevailed.

4 comments:

  1. I'll wear a patch when I'm with him if it will help.
    Love Grandpa Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be a cool patch! How fun that Noah enjoyed that movie. It's so much fun to watch them develop new interests.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll wear one too and we will all be pirates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww. I'm so sad for him but it should really help his eye. When I show Jeff this post he's going to want a matching eye patch! I'm glad Noah liked the movie... I love to see little kids enjoy stuff like that :)

    ReplyDelete