Monday, May 24, 2010

A Special Blessing...

Right before spring break this year, one of my students approached me. "Does your offer still stand for me to live with you until graduation?" she asked, as her eyes filled with tears. I told her that I would have to talk to Ryan but I was sure he would say yes. She gave me her cell number and I told her that I would get back to her before spring break was over.

Ryan and I talked it over, and just like I thought, he said not a problem. I called her on her phone and told her that if she still wanted to, we would be happy to take her in. I guess right now the big question is, "Why doesn't this girl want to live where she was currently living"? Her dad had been transferred to North Carolina, and she wanted to finish out her senior year here. She had been living with a friend, but that arrangement wasn't really working out.

So, the Monday after spring break, while Ryan was out of town, Holly moved in. Both of my kids immediately adopted her into our family. She quickly adapted to our routine, and became a huge help to both Ryan and I. When Ryan is out of town, Holly entertains the kids so I can start dinner and pack the diaper bags. She runs errands for us, she helps clear the table, she comes to church with us. She has even survived several family gatherings- Juliana's birthday party, baby Brendan's baby dedication, and jungle gym extravaganza 2010. It's like she has always lived with us.

Why am I writing this now? Well, this coming Saturday, Holly is going to graduate, with honors, from high school. On Sunday, she is going to drive back to North Carolina with her family, and I don't know when we will see her again. I know it's going to be hard for us to get used to her not being here. Noah tells her that he loves her and misses her. Juliana lights up as soon as Holly enters the room. Ryan has noticed that I am less stressed, and I have noticed that he is less stressed as well.

So, this week, my goal is to write a daily blog about Holly and how much she has meant to our family.

Meet Holly. She is in the top 10% of her class. She is in National Honors Society and the Spanish Honors Society. She is one of the nicest kids I know. Here are some pictures I've taken of her for her various honors dinners she has had this month. Isn't she beautiful?


4 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! And you are so sweet. How wonderful that she has a teacher like you. Glad you've had a little extra help here and there too.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty dresses! I thought you were nuts when you said a student was going to live with you, when you had so much other stress, but Holly has been such a blessing! I'm so thankful for her, for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying as I am reading this. Thank you Jesus for Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I am not feeling all that well I just look at these blogs that you wrote for me. These will be special forever to me and Ill never forget these moments! These pictures and your words just make me smile. Im glad I could be there to help you! These blogs will always be looked upon and will make me feel soo much better!

    ReplyDelete